Tuesday, February 17, 2009

old vs new

Subtitle to this post is: Change, EEEKKKKKK. I'm extracting DNA which is something that I can nearly do while sleeping, but it's an case in point of the issues that I'm having changing from phd lab to postdoc lab. Everyone is very nice and the equipment and lab space is wonderful, but there are lots of things that I've done for a long time that now I'm having to tweak to fit in with new lab group. I'm sure this is something that everyone who changes jobs goes through but I haven't changed jobs for quite a while. Settling in is taking some time and I want to be settled already.

Anyway, back to the DNA. New lab uses a similar protocol for the
extraction but a fancydancy filter system for cleaning and concentrating the DNA. Old lab uses the cheap (but in my mind, just as good if not better) alcohol precipitation. I'm testing out the difference between the two methods using samples from the most recent cruise. We don't have all of the depths for this particular station because the weather got bad before our second cast of the rosette, therefore these are fairly safe samples to test methods on. They wouldn't be used for the big analysis anyway.

Any bets? Fancy filter or cheap alcohol which will yield more and/or cleaner DNA. I'm betting alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment