Monday, August 3, 2009

Hiking with technology

Thairo and I went down to Olympic np this weekend for our first (hopefully not last) backpacking trip of the season. While I've always had technology in the backcountry with me, previously I've had the excuse of having to carry gps/palm pilot/cell phone or radio because of work. However this trip I have yo admit that I carried my phone for me. And for the new app I found-topos2go. It allows you to download and display and mark georeferenced topos. Yeah. It came in really handy when we got to the ranger station and were told that we could hike where we planned because it was too crouded-but no problem cause I had downloaded all the topos for the park.
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try out my previous favorite utility app-distant suns-because it was overcast the whole time. No stargazing on this trip.
But we didn't get lost

No comments:

Post a Comment