Friday, January 30, 2009

row row row your boat

Today the sea is much rougher. I was fairly pleased with myself this morning when there were only 3 other scientists (out of 16) vertical and I was feeling good. That feeling of smugness passed when I suddenly had to run out into the breeze to calm my head down. I found that if I just lay down for a few minutes when my head starts to spin I'll be ok.

I tried to take a few pictures showing how much the boat is rocking but am not sure if they're going to do a very good job demonstrating that. I haven't seen any numbers about the height of the swells, but I'll guess somewhere around 8-10 feet.

We hit another couple minor stations today (only on that I sample). Both times there was quite a bit of discussion trying to decided if it was too rough to deploy the rosette or not. Both stations were a go, but the crew recaptured the last one instead of us scientists catching it. (random aside-the rosette weighs just under 1000 lbs empty and over a ton full of water) I'm on science watch now but didn't have much to do at the last station since the crew caught the rosette and the next station isn't for a couple more hours. I think I'll take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment